Date: 5/1/19 12:25 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (30 Apr 2019) 3 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 3 780 1005

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Howard Campbell, Kathleen Pileggi, Sharon Milner,
Sue McLaughlin

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (6): Jim Balint, Sharon Milner, Howard Campbell, Sue McLaughlin,
Kathleen Pileggi
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Cloudy w/Thunderstorms (90-100% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 2,900-11,100 ft.,
Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 61 - 72F, Winds WSW-WNW @ 10 - 15 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Bald Eagle,
1-Cooper's Hawk, 2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, 1-American
Kestrel, and numerous Black (19) and Turkey Vultures (44).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-_; 2 yr.-_; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’
<BR><BR>
My arrival at the hawk watch was delayed today. Oh, I made it to the
parking lot on time – in fact, early. But that final 50 yards took 2
HOURS!! Did I pull a muscle? No. Did I get shanghaied? No. I opened my
van door to a chorus of warbler song! It was delightful and I did what any
self-respecting birder would – I placed my field brew on the hood and
seized the moment!. Sharon arrived with donuts [and we all know how we feel
about gifts of food and drink here] and all Hell broke loose, right there
in the parking lot! The songs of warblers were everywhere! Besides the
ubiquitous Ovenbirds and Common Yellowthroats, we had Blackburnian Warblers
[FOY], Blue-winged Warbler [my FOY], Black-and-white Warblers, American
Redstart [my FOY], several Northern Parula, Yellow Warblers, Chestnut-sided
Warblers [FOY], Black-throated Blue Warbler [my FOY], Yellow-rumped
Warblers, Prairie Warbler [my FOY], Black-throated Green Warblers [my FOY],
and a Wilson’s Warbler [my FOY]. WOW! 14 species of warblers, all around
the parking lot! So excuse me, I WAS LATE! Sharon did the best she could
at finding the birds in the tall oaks, but seeing them was challenging in
the nearly fully-foliaged canopy. Warbler meadows, with shorter trees
would have provided easier looks, but did not produce this morning. Sharon
did really enjoy the male Scarlet Tanager and a singing Yellow-throated
Vireo.
<BR><BR>
Howard was out enjoying the warm temperatures. AND he found his Bald
Eagle. [He loves eagles!] He also brought a bag of nuts for our
woodpeckers. Thanks Howard!
<BR><BR>
With this report, the first annual TLC Spring Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek
Preserve was brought to a close. If you enjoyed being here or these
reports, please consider letting The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester
County know. They sponsor these watches, while providing preserved land
for our enjoyment. There will be a season recap in the next large weekly
hotline/blog coming out on Thursday. We’ll be back conducting the fall
hawk watch beginning September 1 and next spring’s hawk watch on March 1.
But even before THAT, we have the “Kite & Shorebird Watch” sponsored by
Delaware Nature Society, beginning in just a couple of weeks, on May 17 at
3pm till dark, and lasting each evening thru June 6.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Double-crested Cormorant, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Yellow-throated Vireo,
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Wood Thrush, Brown Thrasher, Eastern Phoebe, Orchard
Oriole, Scarlet Tanager, White-crowned Sparrow, Blue-winged Warbler,
Black-and-white Warbler, American Redstart, Northern Parula, Yellow
Warbler, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Prairie
Warbler, Black-throated Green Warblers, Wilson’s Warbler, Blackburnian
Warbler, and Chestnut-sided Warbler
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (5): Cabbage White, Eastern Tiger
Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, Pearl Crescent, Spring Azure. Dragonflies
(0): Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (0): .
<BR><BR>
----EBNT’s “Walk with Nature” ™ Program Daily Tally with our Fitbits: This
is a stationary watch, but if I stay stationary too long, I might tend to
“bulk up.” Besides, I am ever so fortunate to be walking unaided, at all!
Therefore, I keep moving (if you’ve been here, then you know that I pace
endlessly….) - my Fitbit thanks me and its part of my “Walk with Nature”
program. So, below are MY results at the watch for the day. Your totals
could all be zero, if you choose to sit and relax. You are certainly
welcome to take it easy….I simply choose not to, affording me a panoramic
view of our entire sky and a bit of exercise. So come join our “Walk with
Nature!” ™ Anyway, just for fun, here are my numbers at the site for today
(join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.91; Steps: 13,887; Floors: 14.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 69; this season: 119
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (8):”
Blackburnian Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Blue-winged Warbler, American
Redstart, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Prairie Warbler, Black-throated
Green Warblers, Wilson’s Warbler
.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
It doesn't matter - THE WATCH IS OVER!!
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm.Rain
or shine.
<earlybirdtours...> questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):