Date: 4/30/19 4:28 pm
From: John McKitterick <john.mckitterick...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Clay-Colored Sparrow in Columbia
I was eating lunch on the patio in the full sun, with my binoculars ready
hoping for a warbler. Instead, siskins by the dozen and a red-breasted
nuthatch, and then, a chipping sparrow. Or so I thought, since we have at
least one pair in our yard all the time. Fortunately, I put the binoculars
on the supposed chippy only to realize that it had no red crown, but did
have a center stripe on its head. Sun-addled as I was, I immediately
thought immature chipping sparrow! But it flew into a tree closer by, and I
realized that the stripe on its head was much more clearly delineated than
an immature chippy's would be, and that it had a much bolder face pattern.
And too, it is way too early for an immature chippy out without its
parents, at which point the sparrow flew away. Only then did I put it all
together -- clay-colored sparrow. It hasn't returned.

--John McKitterick
Columbia, MD