Date: 4/30/19 3:38 pm
From: Tim Houghton <timhoughton...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Susquehanna, 4/30, 22 warblers, least fly
Super fun day at SSP. I had a productive day there yesterday, but it was instructive to notice all the birds that stopped here last night. I rarely bird SSP on consecutive days, so I overcame my initial sense of staleness when I realized how much different today was going to be. Yesterday, for instance, only a few Redstarts, but today many more. Same for Black-and-White. Several new arrivals, as well, such as Black-Throated Green, Worm-Eating, Kentucky, and Hooded. Several Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks were nice. Maybe my favorite bird was a Least Flycatcher at the pond at the picnic area--favorite because it was my first of spring and it was singing its "che-bek" song repeatedly. A Cliff Swallow was at the Craig's Corner bridge. A chat was at Steppingstone as well as the large "chat field" on far side of picnic near Stafford. Rock Run Mill area was quite active. The trail behind the pines at picnic was especially productive. I hit the jackpot with one small area that had Hooded, No. Waterthrush, BT Blue, Blue-Winged, and Canada. It was crazy how many Blue-Winged and Yellow--at least 9 each. Overall, 93 species, including 22 warblers.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55607033 .

Tim Houghton

(Glen Arm)