Date: 4/30/19 11:29 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Allegheny Front (29 Apr 2019) 44 Raptors

UF 0 2 3
UE 0 1 3
UR 0 11 27

Total: 44 773 1341

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Peter Livengood

Observers: Bob Stewart, Ed Gowarty,Sr, Greg Gdula, Tom & Janet Kuehl

Visitors:
David Whipkey, Bob Stewart, Greg Gdula, Tom & Janet Kuehl, Ed Gowarty, Bob
Wertz, and a local couple who stayed in their car to watch. Apparently we
looked ferocious or something...

Weather:
Low clouds (nearly fogging in the ridge) during the first 30 minutes. When
the low clouds dissipated, mostly sunny skies appeared, but yielded to
thickening clouds late in the day. Moderate to strong ESE winds all day.
Good visibility. 35 F to start, warming to low 50's F.

Felt like March early this morning, with wind chills as low as 24 F! Trees
on the ridge have yet to green up, but the valley was pretty.

Raptor Observations:
44 migrating raptors. 10 Bald Eagles: Juveniles @ 9:12; 9:44; 12:17; 12:33;
1:16; 2:13; 2:20; 2:38; Sub-Adult II's @ 9:54; 2:58. 1 Golden Eagle: Imm. @
3:40.

{Note for the 12:00 to 2:00 hours: the new count sheet is missing the 9:00
to 10:00 hour column, which led to some confusion on my part since I did
not discover the error until after the count was over. The non-eagle bird
totals (which were few anyway) from 12:00 to 2:00 may not be exactly
correct.}

Just prior to the arrival of the Golden Eagle (which had a full crop) an
Osprey that was circling just off the edge of the watch site began to call
and act distressed. The Osprey quickly flew north ahead of the eagle, but
returned south after the GE went through. Not counted as a migrant.

Many of the migrants were flying high today. After the first 3 hours
yielded 29 birds, we were expecting a great afternoon flight, but things
kinda went flat shortly before Ed Gowarty arrived. (The Early Bird does
gets the worm...)

We came within 2 today of the previous spring total record for Bald Eagles.
Perhaps this week we can eek out a few more!

Non-raptor Observations:
1 Sandhill Crane flew in from the east valley and circled low directly over
the watch site. Great look!!!

Several waterfowl species flew over, including 10 Double-Crested
Cormorants, 4+ Common Loons, and a Mallard Drake.

Counting raptors, 33 total bird species observed.

Predictions:
Mostly cloudy with west winds. Rain shower chances with west winds
Wednesday through Friday. Regular spring count scheduled to end this
Friday, May 3rd, 2019.
Report submitted by Peter Livengood (<Glivengood7...>)

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=111

Join us on Facebook!