Date: 4/30/19 3:59 am
From: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Clatsop Beach Piping Plover?
"When you hear galloping, think 'horses' not 'zebras'." Dr. Moore, OHSU
School of Dentistry. I identified 14 species of shorebird on Clatsop
Beach between 2:30 and 4:30, one more between 4:30 and 6:30. What disturbs
me about the Snowy Plover l reported in real time was its lack of stripes.
No black on the forehead, no black on the upper chest. It was also
extremely pale above, a good match for juvenile Piping Plover, a poorer
match for immature Snowy Plover. I was busy posting the sighting, glancing
at multiple birds around me. I never noted the leg color. If it had been
yellow l would be somewhat confident it wasn't a Western Snowy Plover, our
"horse" of the moment.
I saw it at a distance of under 10m through 8x binocular. It was
front lit, in stark contrast to so many afternoon Pacific beach birds. A
foto on my smart phone probably could have zoomed up to provide useful
details about bill and feet. Several of the world's experts on Snowy Plover
read this list and should know better than l. Where in the molt cycle would
last year's hatch of SNPL be now? How likely is a Piping Plover to be in
juvenile or winter adult plumage on April 29?
Greater Yellowlegs 1
Marbled Godwit. 20
Short-billed Dowitcher 35
Dunlin. 80