Date: 4/29/19 10:08 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (29 Apr 2019) 19 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 19 777 1002

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Armas Hill, John Beitler, Mike Fowles, Steve Nuttle

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (11): Jim Balint, Gerry Teig, Steve Nuttle, Becky Meister,
Jean-Marie Gauthier, Armas Hill. Mike & Evelyn Fowles, John Beitler, Sophia
Beitler,
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Sunny-Partly Cloudy (10-40% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 29,000-30,000
ft., Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 48 - 62F, Winds NNE-SSE @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (21) and Turkey Vultures (67).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-1; adult-3
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’
<BR><BR>
Steve and Gerry beat me out to the site today and reported our first
Ruby-throated Hummingbird, which I later saw [my FOY]. Steve, being in a
less snarky mood having not read the blog yet, checked our game camera he
donated and taught me how to use it. For that he was rewarded with 2 cups
of “field brew.” There’s more for you buddy when you come with hummingbird
nectar and with your field` sewing kit to fix my torn Velcro strips!
That’ll put hair on your [insert body part]. Yvonne [Steve’s wife] will
love me for THAT!
<BR><BR>
Becky Meister & Jean-Marie visited and reported 5 Bluebird nests with eggs,
while checking our boxes. Also, there appear to be over 10+ active gourds
already in the Martin colony right here.
<BR><BR>
Jim was out pleading for, receiving, then commenting on how wonderful the
field brew was! Steve also said the same thing as he enjoyed a second cup.
Hmm, somehow I overachieved today! The “Bucktoe Barista” will have to
tone it down a bit.
<BR><BR>
While Armas was here, a first happened. A male Pileated Woodpecker came
out and landed on our feeder snag, mere feet away! It flew off without
visiting our suet, this time - but maybe next time?
<BR><BR>
Mike & Evelyn were out having seen an adult Little Blue Heron, Great Egret,
and Greater Yellowlegs, but missing the Glossy Ibis at Pocopson wetlands.
And they had a Northern Waterthrush and Great Crested Flycatcher on Big
Spring Road. [MF, EF] I’ll have to make another run to these spots after
the watch.
<BR><BR>
The sky was beautiful and there were a few hawks on the move. I strode the
meadow, getting little today other than exercise.
<BR><BR>
Afterwards, I went to Pocopson Wetlands and saw the Little Blue Heron [my
FOY], Greater Yellowlegs [my FOY], Great Egret, and Wood Ducks.
<BR><BR>
Further along the way home, Wilson Road ponds held Solitary Sandpiper,
Bobolinks, 6 Lesser Yellowlegs [FOY], and Eastern Meadowlarks.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Barred Owl, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Wood Thrush,
Brown Thrasher, Eastern Phoebe, Orchard Oriole, and White-crowned Sparrow
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (4): Cabbage White, Eastern Tiger
Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, Pearl Crescent. Dragonflies (0): Reptiles &
Amphibians (0): Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
----EBNT’s “Walk with Nature” ™ Program Daily Tally with our Fitbits: This
is a stationary watch, but if I stay stationary too long, I might tend to
“bulk up.” Besides, I am ever so fortunate to be walking unaided, at all!
Therefore, I keep moving (if you’ve been here, then you know that I pace
endlessly….) - my Fitbit thanks me and its part of my “Walk with Nature”
program. So, below are MY results at the watch for the day. Your totals
could all be zero, if you choose to sit and relax. You are certainly
welcome to take it easy….I simply choose not to, affording me a panoramic
view of our entire sky and a bit of exercise. So come join our “Walk with
Nature!” ™ Anyway, just for fun, here are my numbers at the site for today
(join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.37; Steps: 12,616; Floors: 19.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 57; this season: 111
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):”
Ruby-throated Hummingbird.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like not a great finale, though a typical day for
this year - cloudy with thunderstorms. But not a complete washout.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm.Rain
or shine.
<earlybirdtours...> questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):