Date: 4/29/19 7:39 pm
From: Nancy Stotz <nstotznew...>
Subject: [obol] Gold Beach shorebirds
My husband and I happen to be on an exploratory camping trip along the very
southern OR coast at the moment. We spent over 2.5 very windy hours on the
beach from Kissing Rock to the south Rogue River jetty this morning (high
tide). I have no previous experience to compare it to, but there was a
constant stream of shorebirds (peeps) going by, low over the beach and the
breakers. A very rough estimate is of a couple flocks of 20 to 40 birds
every minute. If my wind- and sun-addled math is right, that would make
over 10,000 birds in the 2.5 hours we were on the beach. We didn't see any
peeps feeding, but we eventually learned to recognize flocks that had
hunkered down among the fist-sized cobbles collected along the high tide
line. These resting flocks were primarily westerns, with small numbers of
Dunlin and Semipalms mixed in. I only identified 2 Least all morning, and
had one small flock of Whimbrel (16), and one tiny flock of dowitchers (4)
flyby. Pretty constant stream of Pacific Loons farther out.
This afternoon (low tide) we spent a couple hours on South Beach at Harris
Beach State Park. Didn't notice flyby flocks, and feeding on the beach just
had a few dozen Sempalm, several Leasts, only a couple westerns and another
dozenish Whimbrel. Have heard some flyover flocks as we've been having
dinner etc in camp.
Best action may have moved north already, but today was still pretty cool
down here!
Nancy Stotz

Join us on Facebook!