Date: 4/29/19 4:07 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Early Coos YB CHAT 4/29/19
Heard a YB CHAT singing away up Lower Sandy Creek which is near Remote off
Hwy 42 in eastern Coos. This breaks the earliest record for this species in
Coos by two days. 20 years ago I never found the first one until a week
later. The date for first arrival has crept up a day or so ever few years
for this species. I have noticed the steady progression in this species
more than any other. 20 years ago I wouldn’t have dreamed of finding one in
April in Coos. The long span of nice weather probably helped- many years
the weather is pretty wet late April and passerines (and shorebirds) can be
hard to find (or in big numbers for shorebirds) except on the occasional
nice day so early arrivers could go unnoticed if not singing or calling (or
be to far out to sea or high overhead for shorebirds).

Yesterday, the 28th, heard my first singing BH Grosbeak over in the
Eastside portion of Coos Bay.

The forecast continues to be sunny and windy, we’ll see how the
shorebirding goes. After the biggest few days birds normally continue to
come through but in much lower numbers until about mid-May.

Awesome time of year!
Tim R
Coos Bay

Join us on Facebook!