Date: 4/29/19 2:08 pm
From: Roy Lowe <roy.loweiii...>
Subject: [obol] Shorebirds Glamore
I was at Humboldt Bay over the weekend and there were still huge numbers of
shorebirds there as of noon yesterday, but I suspect many of them are
transiting the Oregon Coast today. As Dave and Phil have reported there is
a big movement today. I was on the beach photographing at Sandpiper
Village near Waldport from 9-11:30am and birds were moving over the beach,
surf, and beyond the surf. There were also numerous flocks on the ground
around Alsea Bay.

First bird on the beach this morning was a red knot foraging by itself. I
worked my way up pretty close to it as it fed. It later joined a flock of
whimbrel. I crouched down at one point and a flock of peeps landed and
surrounded me as they fed, some as close as 15'! As Dave, said tears of
joy and amazement watching these birds. There was a good diversity of
birds as well including lots of dunlin, western sandpipers, some least
sandpipers, short-billed dowitchers, sanderlings, many semipalmated
plovers, black-bellied plover flybys, and a marbled godwit hanging with
whimbrel.

I posted some photos from today at the below site.

Roy

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24707703@N06/albums/72157691183719353

Join us on Facebook!