Date: 4/29/19 6:06 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (28 Apr 2019) 10 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 10 758 983

Observation start time: 06:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Dorothy Bedford, Hank Davis, Jean-Marie Gauthier

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (12): Dorothy Bedford, Hank Davis, Jean-Marie Gauthier, Scott
Northey, Lana Glass, Maryann Koziol, Patricia Jacobs, Sue McLaughlin, Karen
Barker, Harvey Rubenstein, Kris Benarcik
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Cloudy w/Rain (100% cloud cover), Ceiling --6,300-3,200 ft., Visibility -
6-10 miles, Temps 50 - 60F, Winds SSE-ENE @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 4-Red-tailed Hawk,
2-American Kestrel, and numerous Black (18) and Turkey Vultures (33).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’
<BR><BR>
The walk was first at Bucktoe today with Hank leading finding 53 species
before the rain brought things to an end. The highlight was a Louisiana
Waterthrush [HD]. A Yellow Warbler [my FOY] was seen before I had to peel
off to begin the hawk watch.
<BR><BR>
Patricia was here and posed one of her impossible multiple choice
questions. You know, one without the right answer among the choices.
Something like:
“Is that yellow bird a: A] Yellow Warbler B] Yellowthroat or C] female
Oriole?”
It was a Goldfinch, which was NOT among her choices for an answer.
Patricia would be wise to always have a “D] None of the above” among the
answers in her multiple choice questions! [you’ve been blogged, Dear – as
requested. Welcome to “the club.” And what’s up with requesting to be
“blogged?” I’ve got to tell you that falls somewhere under the S&M
umbrella!] On the positive side, Patricia didn’t stay long. [No, that was
a joke. She did stay long..far TOO LONG!] She did bring me an orange, and
as we know, gifts of food and drink are not only welcomed, but encouraged
here at Bucktoe! We kid because we love, Patricia – remember that!
<BR><BR>
Having apparently also learned that “food and drink” lesson, Dorothy
returned with a fine picnic lunch for us featuring a grilled chicken
flatbread, a sliced apple and a brownie. Thanks Dorothy & Patricia!
<BR><BR>
I continued walking the site as we watched, because Jerry had issued a
“Fitbit Weekend Warrior Challenge” to me for the most steps over the
weekend. Jerry was a “walking beast” this weekend and the pressure was on.
Apparently, we had been competitive when kids [not that I remember], but I
guess we still are. First I was leading, then Gerry. Then I led again.
It bounced back and forth. Jerry texted, asking what time this contest was
over. I told him midnight. But I knew what was on his mind. He planned
on getting up right before it was over and going for a hike and beating me
right at the end. I had been planning that very thing myself, seeing what
his figure was on the challenge as he slept [you see real-time numbers on
Fitbit], waking up, and bettering his total by a single step. Now, that
would hurt! But, I could see he was planning the same sort of thing. I
mean what kind of lowlife would do such a thing and how could I catch him
and beat him by a single step if this cheater does the very thing I was
going to do to him?? [lol]
<BR><BR>
The weather was better than predicted, but not great, nor was the hawk
movement. Blue Jays still were on the move north. After the watch, I
headed home but was distracted by the text alert of a Glossy Ibis on
Rt.926. This came just as I crossed over Rt. 926. What a world we live
in. This “birding thing” is so easy now! I tracked it down and saw the
Glossy Ibis [my FOY], along with a Great Egret in the wetlands there behind
the Pocopson Ace Hardware Store.
<BR><BR>
Grillmaster Jerry was still walking, building his lead and the contest
ended in just a few hours. I decided to walk around Marsh Creek at dusk,
still hoping for Scoters and having pretty much worn a trench into the
ground at Bucktoe. There were no Scoters, but I did find Common Loons,
Double-crested Cormorants, Ospreys, Bald Eagle and a Spotted Sandpiper [my
FOY].
<BR><BR>
Oh, the contest? Turns out, I fell asleep, missing my alarm at 11pm.
Grillmaster Jerry won by 600 steps. He apparently will do ANYTHING to win
[damn alarm - lol]. Now, I’ll have to endure his crap! [No problem – a
long as he continues to make, and me “endure” his great steaks on our
grills] Steve was in our contest too, but was little competition [lol].
Like a gnat in a hurricane. A pest, but of little consequence! He will be
extra snarky, after THAT blogging!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Common Loon, Great Blue Heron, Rough-winged Swallow, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher,
Brown Thrasher, Eastern Phoebe, Orchard Oriole, Yellow Warbler,
Yellow-rumped Warbler, and White-crowned Sparrow
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (4): Cabbage White, Eastern Tiger
Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, Pearl Crescent. Dragonflies (0): Reptiles &
Amphibians (0): Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
----EBNT’s “Walk with Nature” ™ Program Daily Tally with our Fitbits: This
is a stationary watch, but if I stay stationary too long, I might tend to
“bulk up.” Besides, I am ever so fortunate to be walking unaided, at all!
Therefore, I keep moving (if you’ve been here, then you know that I pace
endlessly….) - my Fitbit thanks me and its part of my “Walk with Nature”
program. So, below are MY results at the watch for the day. Your totals
could all be zero, if you choose to sit and relax. You are certainly
welcome to take it easy….I simply choose not to, affording me a panoramic
view of our entire sky and a bit of exercise. So come join our “Walk with
Nature!” ™ Anyway, just for fun, here are my numbers at the site for today
(join me, if you wish): Miles: 8.82; Steps: 20,678; Floors: 20.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 59; this season: 110
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” Yellow
Warbler.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks Mostly Sunny, but with a few clouds for depth, and
light variable winds - I'll take it!
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm.Rain
or shine.
<earlybirdtours...> questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):