Date: 4/28/19 3:57 pm
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Loon in a tree at New River Nature Center/Coos Migration
I would think it impossible for a loon to perch in any tree, or acheive flight from any place but a long stretch of water. Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Rebecca Hartman <rhartman...> Date: 4/28/19 3:23 PM (GMT-08:00) To: OBOL <obol...> Subject: [obol] Loon in a tree at New River Nature Center/Coos Migration

Wednesday through Saturday I had a fantastic few days around Bandon, experiencing my
first migration at the coast.  I want to
thank Phil Pickering for mentioning the forecast and Jeff Gilligan and Dave
Lauten for recommending Bandon and China Creek.

I was awed by the constant stream of Pacific Loons and
Aleutian Cacklers determined to push their way north.  I sat on the beach while flocks of Western
Sandpipers, with Dunlins and Semi-Palmated Plovers (and a few mystery birds) zipped
past, sometimes surrounding me, the tiny sound of their fluttering wings and
peeping calls washing over me.  I watched
the sun rise at Bandon Marsh and marveled at the thousands of birds coming and
going over the course of nearly three hours.
I learned the importance of tide tables!
And I couldn’t complain when two Peregrine Falcons made a lightening
strike into the birds at Haystack Rock, disrupting my close-up study of Black
Turnstones, a bird I had never seen before.From others' posts, nothing I saw was out of the ordinary, but it was all incredibly special to me.

But I’m bothered and curious about the loon. I’m hoping
someone can help me understand what I saw.  On Friday afternoon, I visited the New River Nature Center, where the last part of the road
down to the river is closed to vehicles because of the Snowy Plovers.  As I walked that last bit of road, a bird
flushed from one of the pines and flew about 20 feet, into the pines on the
other side of the road.  It turned out to
be a Pacific Loon. It perched on a horizontal limb, facing away from me and
keeping an eye on me. I watched it for a bit, then tried to slowly reach for my
phone to get a picture, but when I did, it flew again.  I decided not to try to locate it again, because
I thought only injury or some sort of stress would explain its presence in a
tree.   Why would a loon be in a pine
tree?  This was maybe a few hundred yards
from the river.Rebecca H.Eugene

Join us on Facebook!