Date: 4/28/19 3:43 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (27 Apr 2019) 10 Raptors

CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (2): Jim Balint
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Sunny (25% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 51 - 63F, Winds NW @ 25 - 40 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Red-shouldered Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, 2-American Kestrel, and numerous Black (24) and Turkey
Vultures (56).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ [PLEASE NOTE: On April 26, I sent out the new large
weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format - a newsletter. This is NOT
these reports you get from HawkCount. Rather, it’s the newsletter from
EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County year bird list, etc.. If
you aren’t receiving it and are a regular subscriber, look in your spam – a
few servers send it there. [go figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,”
featuring the county species list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll
have to follow your provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking it as
“not spam” or it will always go there. It usually comes out every Thursday.

<BR><BR>
This wind today was RIDICULOUS! Steady at 25 mph, frequently 40+! It
played havoc with my chairs and site, but then far outstepped my tolerance
when it blew over first my field brew, spilling its treasured contents, but
then my old coffee maker, once again breaking a carafe [sorry Don & Sue].
I grow weary of this! And the sky was a deep blue with the predicted 10%
cloud cover spending 95% of the day, 100% somewhere else. [How’s that for
a math word problem?].
<BR><BR>
I walked he meadow, finding a beautiful Red Fox and the season’s first
Monarch. Nobody came out in this wind – and that pretty much included the
birds, too.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Rough-winged Swallow, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Wood Thrush, Brown Thrasher,
Eastern Phoebe, Orchard Oriole, Yellow-rumped Warbler, and White-crowned
Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (6): Monarch - 1, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, Pearl Crescent, Spring Azure.
Dragonflies (1): Halloween Pennant. Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals
(3): Eastern Gray Squirrel, White-tailed Deer, Red Fox.
<BR><BR>
----EBNT’s “Walk with Nature” ™ Program Daily Tally with our Fitbits: This
is a stationary watch, but if I stay stationary too long, I might tend to
“bulk up.” Besides, I am ever so fortunate to be walking unaided, at all!
Therefore, I keep moving (if you’ve been here, then you know that I pace
endlessly….) - my Fitbit thanks me and its part of my “Walk with Nature”
program. So, below are MY results at the watch for the day. Your totals
could all be zero, if you choose to sit and relax. You are certainly
welcome to take it easy….I simply choose not to, affording me a panoramic
view of our entire sky and a bit of exercise. So come join our “Walk with
Nature!” ™ Anyway, just for fun, here are my numbers at the site for today
(join me, if you wish): Miles: 7.46; Steps: 17,497; Floors: 86.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 58; this season: 109
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks not good [what else is new?] with rain.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm.Rain
or shine.
<earlybirdtours...> questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):