Date: 4/27/19 6:39 pm
From: Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] CT Bird Atlas - Some Useful References
As a casual twitcher, with trivial experience in the last Atlas, this Breeding Bird Atlas work has been a real humbling experience.  But this noob has recently become familiar with life history books called "Wild Bird Guides". Many were published by Stackpole Books about 20 years ago.  Titles include Downy Woodpecker, Black-capped Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse (Chris Elphick recently reminded us that the Parids are a notorious challenge when it comes to confirming nesting status), Northern Cardinal, and American Goldfinch.  Chapters include behavior, breeding, nesting and other subjects that are directly pertinent to our census efforts.
I'm sure there are other useful books (Stokes books come to mind) and am very interested in hearing about other useful references.
Steve MayoBethany