Date: 4/27/19 5:35 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Malheur update
The Ground Squirrel Gazette

April 27, 2019

Spring continues to push into Malheur with the first Bullock’s Oriole of the year, along with a couple of additional buntings. Rick Vetter reports Wilson’s Phalaropes, Horned and Eared Grebes at the Burns sewage Ponds. Today was my third day of 50+ species from the deck during work, and another half-dozen are on site. Highlight was a Golden Eagle overheard; they don’t overfly HQ often. No sign of the reported Black Phoebe from yesterday.

Looks like a flat tire year on the southern CPR again; I have heard of three this week.

The most interesting tourist question in my two weeks here came today: “Do you still have the box of sex toys that were sent to the Bundy gang during the occupation?” A little voice in my head offered several possible responses as my mouth opened:

1. Yes, but I haven’t tried them.

2. Yes and there is a fee to use them.

3. They are now in the museum.

4. Ask at the Nature Store; they are kept behind the counter.

5. The FBI uses them at the training academy.

At that point I recognized the voice as Old Scratch (it’s not the first time I have heard it) and generated a more or less conventional response.

I hope to see many of you here in May.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon