Date: 4/27/19 2:51 pm
From: Roy Gerig <roygerig...>
Subject: [obol] This might be the best time of year in the north/central Willamette Valley
The yard beside my house is maintained for only locally native plants, that
requires a lot of weeding and everything. In front and back yards I let
lawn daisies and other wild (not usually native) flowers be and they
benefit bees and butterflies.

For the past 2 1/2 days, there has been a pair of LINCOLN'S SPARROWS in the
side yard almost constantly. I doubt there are records of LISP nesting
down here in the Valley bottom by the Willamette River, so I am not
suggesting that. The pair do seem happy there for now. They will probably
go up to Detroit and the Cascades soon. I can't say if the native plants
have much to do with it,, but the bird life in the side yard is more
satisfying than in my larger front and back yards.

It is that this is the time of year April/May we see several species of
birds passing through and their behaviors that we otherwise seldom see
here.. There are more birds in sheer numbers in the fall migration, but
everything is different then than now. This might be the best time of the
year for birding and wildflowers.

Yesterday I saw a flock of 8 Chipping Sparrows near Spong's Landing north
of Salem, in short Poa annua and Filaree (Geranium family) both European
weeds along the roadside of Naples Rd. That is more CHSP than you might
see around here in a whole year. Today there were 300 small sandpipers at
the scrape pond in Ankeny NWR, mostly LEAST, with a few WESTERN SANDPIPERS
and DUNLIN and 40 LB DOWITCHERS. I could not find the mystery shorebird I
saw with them yesterday, something with body color similar to the
DOWITCHERS but only half their size, with a white rump and whitish gray
tail. That is why I went to Ankeny today, that bird was very interesting
and I don't know what it was, and we only see numbers of shorebirds like
these around here for a very short time in spring.

Roy Gerig Salem OR

Join us on Facebook!