Date: 4/27/19 10:36 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (26 Apr 2019) 9 Raptors

CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (3): Jim Balint, Gerry Teig
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Cloudy w/Rain (100% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 2,400-3,700 ft., Visibility -
3 miles, Temps 60 - 68F, Winds South @ 10 - 20 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 4-Red-tailed Hawk,
1-American Kestrel, and numerous Black (24) and Turkey Vultures (40).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ [PLEASE NOTE: On April 26, I sent out the new large
weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format - a newsletter. This is NOT
these reports you get from HawkCount. Rather, it’s the newsletter from
EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County year bird list, etc.. If
you aren’t receiving it and are a regular subscriber, look in your spam – a
few servers send it there. [go figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,”
featuring the county species list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll
have to follow your provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking it as
“not spam” or it will always go there. It usually comes out every Thursday.

<BR><BR>
As I walked up in this morning’s rain a Wild Turkey crossed the main path
to the hawk watch – a first for here. Later, it or another, crossed a
different path. So [leaving myself open for an attack], there was at least
one Turkey at the hawk watch today! [I’ll wait while you formulate your
joke] I’ll have a try at it, too: Jim just missed the Turkeys, as he was
working near the meadow. It was an amazing site, something I thought I’d
NEVER see. No, not the Turkey, but Jim WORKING! [You’ve been “blogged,”
Buddy – you know the drill!] So, not counting Jim, there were probably two
Turkeys at the Hawk Watch today. You do the math…
<BR><BR>
Between storms, there was a Turkey Vulture. Hmm, are you catching a theme
here? This weather is horrible, I’m not sure if only “turkeys” would come
out in this. How apropos.
<BR><BR>
During a dry period, I walked “Warbler Meadow East & Warbler Meadow West”
finding them both alive with migrants. There was Scarlet Tanager [my FOY],
Yellow-throated Vireo [my FOY], Northern Parulas, Black-and-white Warblers
[my FOY], and Yellow-rumped Warblers. A Great Egret flew over during the
excitement, skimming the tree tops, as did a COMMON RAVEN.
<BR><BR>
I also found Box Turtle. I usually find only one of these each year, but
only one. This year’s might have come early. Didn’t we use to find a lot
more of these incredible creatures? I think so…
<BR><BR>
As expected there were few hawks, but the day had interesting birds. It
was far from a wash-out. After leaving, I took a quick drive to Marsh
Creek, feeling the storm might bring in some Scoters. Well, my stay there
was even quicker. There was a tornado warning in effect and they closed
the park. I had no idea they did that for warnings, did you? I wasn’t
going in the water! In my two minutes before being escorted out, I saw
Common Loon and Double-crested Cormorants.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Mallard, Wild Turkey, Great Egret, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, COMMON RAVEN,
Rough-winged Swallow, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Wood Thrush, Brown Thrasher,
Eastern Phoebe, Orchard Oriole, Yellow-throated Vireo, Scarlet Tanager,
Northern Parula, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Black-and-white Warbler, and
White-crowned Sparrow
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (3): Cabbage White, Eastern Tiger
Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur. Dragonflies (0): Reptiles & Amphibians (1):
Box Turtle. Mammals (1): Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
----EBNT’s “Walk with Nature” ™ Program Daily Tally with our Fitbits: This
is a stationary watch, but if I stay stationary too long, I might tend to
“bulk up.” Besides, I am ever so fortunate to be walking unaided, at all!
Therefore, I keep moving (if you’ve been here, then you know that I pace
endlessly….) - my Fitbit thanks me and its part of my “Walk with Nature”
program. So, below are MY results at the watch for the day. Your totals
could all be zero, if you choose to sit and relax. You are certainly
welcome to take it easy….I simply choose not to, affording me a panoramic
view of our entire sky and a bit of exercise. So come join our “Walk with
Nature!” ™ Anyway, just for fun, here are my numbers at the site for today
(join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.37; Steps: 10,244; Floors: 15.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 64; this season: 109
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (5):” Wild
Turkey, Yellow-throated Vireo, Scarlet Tanager, Northern Parula,
Black-and-white Warbler.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks better that today did, with sunny skies, but a
horrendously strong northwest wind, frequently over 40 mph!
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm.Rain
or shine.
<earlybirdtours...> questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):