Date: 4/27/19 10:06 am
From: Pete Sole <pete...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Woodpeckers mobbing Grosbeaks
Hi birders,

Today we saw clear mobbing behavior of ACORN WOODPECKERS directed
towards a pair of BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAKS. The grosbeak pair were trying
to eat at our feeders, and two woodpeckers kept diving at them. The
woodpeckers seemed otherwise quite tolerant of Lesser Goldfinches and
House Finches eating at the feeders.  I've seen acorn woodpeckers mob
scrub jays but never black-headed grosbeaks before.

It's competitive out there, but wonder why they decided to pick on the
grosbeak pair...

Pete Sole
Soquel, CA