Date: 4/26/19 10:39 pm
From: Thomas Gilg <tom...>
Subject: [obol] Grasshopper Sparrows, Belts Dr. in Linn

I did some spectrograph compares of my April 23 recordings on Belts Drive with some Xeno Canto Grasshopper Sparrows, and unless many others are misidentifying, I'm 99% sure of a match for Grasshopper. The spectrograph compares can be seen in a PDF in the folder at:

https://barbless-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/p/tom/EvPsAZyacJFLmxxuY5QutKYBGqQtfToT7t599Xejn2qFMQ?e=s2q4CU

see grasshopper-sparrow-spectrogram.pdf

I did not see the birds. I was hard pressed to hear the 2 opening chips, but did consistently hear the chip at the end of the obvious trill.

Hopefully others have luck hearing (and seeing) them. If not on the east end of Belts, I now wonder if they could be in the grassland across Gap Road.

--tg