Date: 4/26/19 5:02 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Scouting Trip Report
*SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Scouting Trip Report*

*April 26, 2019*

This morning, Barbara and I scouted Minto-Brown Island Park in preparation
for our Salem Audubon bird walk on *Wednesday, May 1st at 7:00 a.m*. Tim
joined us for part of the scout as we went out the Blue Heron Trail to the
west and then went along the fields to the north. We ended up along the
Willamette River and then took the trail leading to Parking Lot #3. It was
a nice morning with temperatures from 52 to 60 degrees. Early on there was
some wind but it wasn’t too bad. The bird activity good as we observed
(seen or heard) of 47 species.

A few observations…1) The trail along the river was a little narrow and
tricky to navigate. It appears that during the flooding the river pushed
the bank up near the trail and water from the slough on the other side
pushed blackberry vines onto the trail; 2) The plants and trees are really
leafing and blossoming out. There was a myriad of colors along the trails;
3) One of the key highlights was the warbler activity. We observed seven
(7) warbler species and were able to see some of them including several
*Wilson’s* and *Orange-crowned Warblers* as well as *Yellow-rumped Warblers*
and a *Yellow Warbler*. There was a report of six (6) *Nashville Warblers*
seen near the bridge going over the slough. One of us saw one *Nashville
Warbler* in that vicinity on the left side of the trail near the bridge.

Other observations:

· It was a four (4) woodpecker day with the *Pileated Woodpecker*
(heard), several *Downy Woodpeckers* (seen and heard), a *Hairy Woodpecker*
(seen) and a few *Northern Flickers* (seen and heard);

· Another nice sighting was several *Warbling Vireos* that we got to
see close;

· We saw a *Hutton’s Vireo* along the first trail that goes to the
left off the Blue Heron Trail; and

· Other nice sightings included a *Rufous Hummingbird*, two *Black-headed
Grosbeaks *and several *Savannah Sparrows*.

The next bird walk is the *Minto-Brown Island Park bird walk* on *Wednesday,
May 1st at 7:00 AM*. Meet at Parking Lot #3 at the end of Minto Island
Road. Please join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Minto-Brown Island Park Checklist Summary for April 26, 2019*

*Identified Species: 47*

10 Cackling Goose
4 Canada Goose
3 Wood Duck