Date: 4/25/19 3:31 pm
From: Ric Zarwell <birdingricz...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Sandhill Crane nest flooded, and Turkey Vulture love making
IA-BIRDers

Earlier today my wife & I observed a Sandhill Crane on a nest near the observation deck on the west end of the “Army Road” which is at the east edge of New Albin, in Allamakee Co. I believe this is likely the same nest that Bill Ohde originally posted about as the location is approx. 60 degrees from the mounted scope on the deck.

The interesting, and also sad thing is that the Mississippi River has gone up to a very high level again, and many of the crane’s feathers ( including tail and wing feathers ) are in water. Cheers for the parent bird trying to save eggs and/or young from the cold water. But for this particular nest, doing so looks like a lost cause. See photo taken during rain below. In checking with staff at the International Crane Foundation a few years ago, I was told Sandhill Cranes seldom re-nest after an original nest is lost.

Also noted this afternoon ( from our living room couch ) Turkey Vulture copulation from the top of the Black Hawk Bridge which crosses the Mississippi River at Lansing. Respecting their privacy, no photos were attempted ☺️

Ric

Ric Zarwell
Email: <BirdingRicZ...> <mailto:<BirdingRicZ...>
Mobile: 563-419-4991

Birding, after all, is just a game.
Going beyond, that is what is important.
Roger Tory Peterson