Date: 4/25/19 10:08 am
From: 'Kathy M.' via IA-BIRD <ia-bird...>
Subject: [ia-bird] New Albin sandhill crane nest update: ok as of Apr-24 @6pm
Yesterday, visited the Pool Slough observation deck from 5pm to 6pm.
Immediately saw a crane, and had excellent views (thru deck scope)
as kindly reported by Bill Ohde. :)

Both eggs are still there, and while the water is very high, the
cranes seem focused on preserving the nest.
The other parent arrived, parked on a 2nd tiny clump, then explored
a much larger spit immediately beside both tiny clumps, on which a
single Canada Goose was parked (nesting?).
I'm wondering if he/she was looking for a better spot to move the
eggs to? Does anyone know if cranes can/do move eggs?
After a while, the first crane flew off, and the 2nd took over the
nest.

Catching the changing of the guard was pure dumb timing luck, and
quite a thrill for me. :)

I didn't get any good pics (18-year-old 2-megapixel camera), but
here's a shot showing both cranes on the two tiny clumps, and the
larger spit with the goose (main goal is to aid your speculations
as to the possibility of the cranes moving the eggs):
http://puffin.net/wildlife/picoweek.php?id=89
Here's the first crane in flight:
http://puffin.net/wildlife/picoweek.php?id=90
Both pages are accessible with _ANY_ browser security settings,
because most sites now suck at visitor security, but I don't. :)

In addition to Bill's report, there was a Yellow-rumped Warbler by
the deck, thousands of tiny bugs (midges?), and a Bald Eagle nest
(on what looked to me like an osprey nesting platform - I was
suitably disappointed). One eagle did a few fly-bys while I was
there, at one point spooking several hundred Coots.

A big thanks to Bill for the original report, and some very helpful
direct email replies. I had to drive thru the general area, and
couldn't pass up a chance to experience this unusual view. :)
- Kathy, Senior Email Security Engineer, IowaHoneypot