Date: 4/25/19 9:42 am
From: Nathaniel Wander <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender nathaniel_wander for DMARC)
Subject: [obol] Raptor Olfaction

The olfactory system of Turkey vultures is unique even amongvultures.  The olfactory bulb of theirbrain is absolutely the largest of N American vultures and significantly relativelylarger compared to brain size of any of the world’s vulturine species.

Perhaps more important is the enormous number of mitralcells packed into the Turkey Vulture’s olfactory bulb.  Mitral cells are specialized neurons thattransmit olfactory inputs to other neurons, like a chorus repeating andamplifying the protagonist’s message.  Hence,Turkey Vultures are able to detect even the slightest quantity of protein degradationgases in the air column.  <https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/turkey-vultures-have-keen-sense-smell-and-now-we-know-why-180967599/>

I couldn’t find anything on Bald Eagles’ olfactory systemsbut Golden Eagles apparently have a significant amount of their genome potentially devotedto olfaction. <https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3997482/>

Nathaniel WanderPortland, OR

“Butlower pay and higher rent’s another kind of violence, the violence of silenceand of greed.

“It’sthe violence of feeling your irrelevance revealing every way in which you neverwill be freed.”

“FreedomIs a Verb”  Daniel Kahn & thePainted Bird <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFu0o8NB5Io>

Join us on Facebook!