Date: 4/25/19 3:16 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (24 Apr 2019) 250 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 250 703 928

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Dennis Davis, Gerry Teig, John Beitler, Steve Nuttle

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (6): Dennis Davis, Gerry Teig, Steve Nuttle, Sue McLaughlin, John
Beitler
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Sunny (10% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 60 - 69F, Winds WNW @ 15 - 20 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 3-Cooper's Hawk,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, 2-American Kestrel, and numerous
Black (59) and Turkey Vultures (79).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-2
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’
<BR><BR>
Steve was out and just as snarky as ever [next week’s word of the week].
He delivered a “game camera” that he’s donating to “the cause.” Thanks
Steve! Funny, today Steve suggested next week’s word, while appearing for
the entire world to be the “poster child” for this week’s word of the week
– “bedraggled!” [you just got blogged, buddy – take 2 aspirin and call me
in the morning!]
<BR><BR>
And thanks to OBSERVERS, Don & Sue for their kind donation to help defray
the cost of the canopy I bought to escape the sun and wind. You guys are
too much! First, the “field brew” setup, now this! Love you both and it
is surely appreciated!
<BR><BR>
Gerry was here [also observing] and with news that Misspillion River
Brewing Company near where the Red Knots and other shorebirds stage,
bulking up for their journey to the arctic to breed, [and which carries
them over our excited eyes here at Bucktoe during our upcoming “Kite &
Shorebird Watch” in late May and early June] is dedicating and naming an
upcoming brew after the Knots! Can’t wait to find it and try it. Gerry
says it should be available in May. We’ll try to have it here for our
upcoming watch - a new angle on “field brew,” perhaps??
<BR><BR>
John showed up and I sure needed him with what was about to happen. He
seemed to bring luck, instantly there were Broad-winged Hawks. But the sky
was tough; all blue with just a wisp of a cloud. The only way hawks were
seen was thru constant scanning of the deep blue sky. But they WERE FOUND!
For the second day in a row, we stayed much later. Still they came. Not
huge kettles as sometimes in the fall, but moderate. John had to leave, as
it was getting late; leaving just me. The birds continued past 5pm. I
ended with 214 Broad-winged Hawks. Were they trying to get ahead of
tomorrow’s impending bad weather or was it just time? Who knows, but it
sure was fun! [That weather, along with the game being sold out, forced
the postponement of tomorrow’s “Baseball & Birding” trip.]
<BR><BR>
As I tidied up for the day, a Fish Crow came into the feeders and began
eating suet - a new feeder bird.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Great Blue Heron, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Orchard Oriole, Ovenbird,
Yellow-rumped Warbler, Brown Thrasher, Eastern Kingbird, Eastern Phoebe,
and White-crowned Sparrow
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (5): Cabbage White, Eastern Tiger
Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, Pearl Crescent, Wild Indigo Duskywing.
Dragonflies (0): Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
----EBNT’s “Walk with Nature” ™ Program Daily Tally with our Fitbits: This
is a stationary watch, but if I stay stationary too long, I might tend to
“bulk up.” Besides, I am ever so fortunate to be walking unaided, at all!
Therefore, I keep moving (if you’ve been here, then you know that I pace
endlessly….) - my Fitbit thanks me and its part of my “Walk with Nature”
program. So, below are MY results at the watch for the day. Your totals
could all be zero, if you choose to sit and relax. You are certainly
welcome to take it easy….I simply choose not to, affording me a panoramic
view of our entire sky and a bit of exercise. So come join our “Walk with
Nature!” ™ Anyway, just for fun, here are my numbers at the site for today
(join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.18; Steps: 11,662; Floors: 40.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 56; this season: 100
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like it might be yet another washout, with rain and
overcast skies. we might squeeze a bit in the morning. There may again be
a few of those birds from late in the day yesterday to takeoff and try to
move.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm.Rain
or shine.
<earlybirdtours...> questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):