Date: 4/24/19 8:44 pm
From: Christopher Hayward <p_t_nymph...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Red-necked Phalaropes and Bonaparte's Gulls Half Moon Bay 4-24-19
Hi All,
With the great weather on the coast today Malia and I decided to do some bike birding . First stop was Pilarcitos Creek Mouth where we found a group of 5 Red-necked Phalaropes sitting on the ocean just beyond the wave break.
From there we headed north to Pillar Pt. Harbor, the highlight here was a flock of about 30 Bonaparte Gulls sitting on the water out from Denniston Creek Mouth. We also noted 7 Elegant Terns foraging. At the outer breakwater we had a fly over second cycle Heerman's Gull, first we have seen in a while.
As we were biking around the large pond we heard a Virginia Rail making some grunt calls.
There also were large numbers of Loons flying north, with no scopes tough to identify to species, but a big move seemed underway even though it was late afternoon.

Chris Hayward and Malia Defelice
Half Moon Bay