Date: 4/24/19 6:34 pm
From: Mike Horn via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Hamden Eagle Chicks
Hi all you State St Hamden Eagle Chick Fans everywhere. Tonight (Wed 4/24/19
form 6:15 PM to 7:15 PM) I got my first real good look at the chicks. When I
got there, Dad was sitting on a branch about 8 feet to the left of the nest.
This allowed the chicks to sun themselves. At roughly 6:35 PM, Daddy bird
went over to the left side of the nest. He immediately started to rip up
what I took to be a large blue-backed herring into tiny little pieces. At
that point, 2 chicks popped up. They looked to be about the same age.about 3
weeks old. Both looked fine and healthy and eagerly demanded food. Feeding
took place for roughly 25 minutes until both chicks could eat no more; at
that point, Daddy bird swallowed the rest of the herring, ~7:00PM.

Mom flew in a minute or so after Dad flew to a near by branch. Mom took over
chick watch. I left at 7:15 PM.

Some notes: The Proto Tire parking lot provides a clean, unobstructed view
of the nest: No Leaves, No Sticks, No Wires. This is especially important
because "Leaf Out" is happening now. The WB Mason parking lot is losing its
appeal. Some folks have figured this out and are now viewing from Proto
Tire.

Also, I posted some video on YOUTUBE. Search Eagles Hamden CT

Enjoy, Mike Horn, Hamden, CT