Date: 4/24/19 2:09 pm
From: Jim Moodie <jmoodie...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Bald Eagle olfactory prowess
Hi Paul,

It turns out that many, if not all birds, have a sense of smell, but their brains have been remodeled so that they don't show prominent olfactory bulbs (part of the brain dedicated to interpret scents from the nostrils).

Here is a link to an Audubon story about birds and smell: https://www.audubon.org/magazine/january-february-2014/birds-can-smell-and-one-scientist

Of course, the eagle might have blundered into the dumpster on an earlier visit and is now making a regular check, but it is certainly possible, given bald eagle's proclivity for carrion, that it used its sense of smell to locate the dumpster when it contained some fresh meat scraps.

Now I am going to have to develop a bird and scent lab for my students to try in my Animal Behavior class...thanks Paul!

Cheers,
Jim

Dr. Jim Moodie
Science Department
COCC

Spring Term Office Hours:
Wednesday 1:00 - 3:00 p.m. Science Center 287
Thursday 1:30 - 3:00 p.m. Science Center 287