Date: 4/24/19 12:58 pm
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] Bald Eagle olfactory prowess - further thoughts
I'm thinking about this question of a Bald Eagle being able to smell
carrion. Further thoughts.

Could it be possible that the eagle had previous experience finding carrion
at that location?

Could it be possible that the eagle followed the Turkey Vultures to the
site?

I checked a few things out.

First of all, the vultures were not zeroing in on the parking lot this
morning, they were just wandering about. The eagle came, and they gave it
room. Then the eagle zeroed in on the parking lot.

The barbeque pit was not operating this morning.

I rechecked the dumpster and did not find it smelly (I don't have a very
good nose.), but my companions assured me it was smelly. What I saw looked
more like pizza and barbeque waste, not raw meat.

I asked the folks at the market, and they do indeed butcher meat.
Attractant is present.

They said they had never seen an eagle or a vulture around the market, which
points toward no previous experience on the part of the eagle.

So this points to the eagle finding the site on its own and focusing in on
the dumpster.

Paul Sullivan