Date: 4/24/19 11:31 am
From: JAMES SPEICHER <jugornought...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Another killdeer story
On 4/24/19, 'Susan Hunt' wrote:
Someone left a message for me (while I was out birding) that a little
family of "terns" were sitting in the middle of a school parking lot
and she...

I've chanced on a nest & a post nest in FR over the years. One was at
a public nursery [plant] where gravel was abundant. The nest held
eggs and was not seemingly located in an out of the way area of the
nursery.

The other was in a cemetery a couple miles away with gravel paths
between the monuments. I had not known previously of the nest & just
chanced to be on hand when the adults were leading the chicks away. I
have to admit that on impulse I scooped up one of the babies briefly,
before setting it back down to join its siblings with I think no harm
done.

Gravel for nesting seems a key requirement for Killdeer...

Jim Speicher
BroadRun/Burkittsville area
[FR] Frederick County MD
M.O.S. member, Washington [WA] Co Chapter