Date: 4/24/19 10:48 am
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] Bald Eagle olfactory prowess
I'm acquainted with the experiments that show that Turkey Vultures have a
keen sense of smell. They can sniff out a putrid carcass hidden under a
brushpile or otherwise visually obscured. Their method of foraging is to
get up on the wing, ride the thermals, and pick up scent of rotting flesh.
They also watch each other, If one bird goes down on something fragrant,
others follow to participate in the feast. That's a known story.

This morning I participated in the Wednesday morning bird walk at Linfield
College, led by Tom Love. It is right in urban McMinnville. About 8:30 we
saw one, two, three Turkey Vultures start to get up and moving over the area
north of campus. Then an adult Bald Eagle joined in. It circled over the
parking lot between El Rancho Market and St. Vincent's second-hand store.
It circled in tighter circles as if it was honing in on something.
Eventually it landed in a tall Douglas fir. The market has an outdoor
barbeque setup where they cook meat. We went over to investigate and found
an open dumpster behind the market with evidence of meat waste.

We all remarked that we had never seen an eagle right in town like that. I
went home and checked my records for our Rummel Street address - only a
couple blocks from Linfield - and found only 3 sightings of Bald Eagle seen
from this yard. I'm sure they were mainly off over the Yamhill River at the
edge of town, not over the town itself.

My question is this. Do eagles have a keen sense of smell like turkey
vultures? The bird showed clear signs of circling, honing in on that
parking lot.

Paul Sullivan

McMinnville

Join us on Facebook!