Date: 4/23/19 7:28 pm
From: Gladys Birdsall <gjb5...>
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Yellow-throated Warbler, South Spring Pool, Montezuma NWR
Dave,

Diane, Susan Evans-Pond and I were headed back to Ithaca after birding with the Campus Club Bird Study Group at MNWR and we stopped at South Spring Pool to check what might be out on the pool. As we were standing on the wooden platform we saw two Yellow-rumped Warblers just to the west of the platform in some small trees right by the water. Yellow-rumps were singing around us, and then we heard something different. I thought "Chestnut-sided like", and Diane thought "Yellow Warbler". We walked back onto the trail and walked a few feet further down the path and saw movement up in a tree on the south side of the trail. We quickly saw a bird up in a tree right near the trail, and were wowed by the brilliant yellow throat. We watched this bird for 4-5 minutes. It did not sing, but foraged on limbs and moved around the tree trunk at one point. It flew a couple times to nearby trees but we were able to follow it easily. The black on the face, appearing triangular shaped under the eye - with the black stripe extending down the neck was very striking. Looking at the bird from below and as it moved around it was very striped on the sides/flanks. It was grey above on the back. I could not see what markings it had underneath it's tail. We talked about what we were seeing and we finally left the bird, as our phones and books were in the car. What we observed all pointed to a Yellow-throated Warbler.

Gladys

I just saw this notice from eBird, but nothing on CayugaBirds-L or the text rare bird alert yet. Nice description by Diane Traina of the Yellow-throated Warbler at the NYS-89 entrance to South Spring Pool at Montezuma NWR. (It’s shocking how many people don’t actually describe the rarities they report.) This is a species we don’t see every year in the Cayuga Lake Basin, although Dave Kennedy also found one 2 days ago next to Seneca Lake north of Willard Town Park. An invasion! I hope this one sticks around and is easier to refind.

- - Dave Nutter

Begin forwarded message:

From: <ebird-alert...><mailto:<ebird-alert...>
Date: April 23, 2019 at 3:00:45 PM EDT
To: Undisclosed recipients: ;
Subject: [eBird Alert] Seneca County Rare Bird Alert <hourly>

*** Species Summary:

- Yellow-throated Warbler (1 report)

Yellow-throated Warbler (Setophaga dominica) (1)
- Reported Apr 23, 2019 13:36 by Diane Traina
- Montezuma NWR--South Spring Pool, Seneca, New York
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.97062,-76.772992&ll=42.97062,-76.772992
- Comments: "Bright yellow throat from base of bill to top of breast. Striped on flanks, white wing bars. White eyebrow stripe. Black around eye extending down side of cheek and neck. Grey clear belly to tail. Greyish on back. Seen just past post from entrance at art 89. "

ARCHIVES:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/