Date: 4/23/19 7:19 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (23 Apr 2019) 62 Raptors

CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (2): Jim Balint
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Sunny-Partly Sunny (10-50% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 30,000 ft.,
Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 61 - 79F, Winds WNW-SW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Bald Eagle,
2-Cooper's Hawk, 1-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, 1-American
Kestrel, and numerous Black (19) and Turkey Vultures (78).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-2
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’
<BR><BR>
Jim was out this morning to pleading for “field brew.” Hating to see a
grown, big boy in such a state, I gave up some of the exquisite elixir. I
asked him how it was.
<BR><BR>
“I’ve had worse.” said Jim. It was yet another ringing endorsement, in my
book, for our fabulous “field brew!” It was a lovely day, but for some
reason people chose not to come out. Why today? We’ve had so much bad
weather, but you chose today not to come??
<BR><BR>
A pair of Ospreys flew over in formation, heading north. Thirty minutes
later, what had to be the same Ospreys flew south. Not that unusual, you
say? Au contraire [see the French lessons are not wasted, Jean-Marie]!
You see, these Ospreys had NO FEATHERS! Now, you’re interested, right?
That’s right, they were the Osprey planes, so named for the way they can
hover to take off and land. They must have come from the base in northern
Delaware. Being the official counter and statistician that I am, I put
them on my list …. 4 Ospreys! LOL
<BR><BR>
Also sharing the sky were some nine species of butterflies today, including
several “firsts” for the year, as well as the first dragonfly that I was
able to identify.
<BR><BR>
Yeah, not all magical objects in the sky are birds. A point further
illustrated by the magnificent sundog above me for some time. A COMMON
RAVEN did make sure that birds were represented in this menagerie, by
making a very close pass.
<BR><BR>
Not much was happening with hawks and as the day came to an end, I decided
to stay late to write. I’m glad that I did; seeing 51 Broad-winged Hawks
coming in low after I was to have left. Will they be around tomorrow
morning around liftoff time?
<BR><BR>
When I did leave, I stopped by Wilson Rd. pond in Doe Run where I added a
Vesper Sparrow [FOY] flying off the side of Wilson Rd. and a very early
Bobolink [FOY]. There were a few Eastern Meadowlarks and a Solitary
Sandpiper.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
COMMON RAVEN, Great Blue Heron, Belted Kingfisher, Wood Thrush, Orchard
Oriole, Ovenbird, Brown Thrasher, Eastern Kingbird, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher,
Eastern Phoebe, and White-crowned Sparrow
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (9): Cabbage White, Eastern Tiger
Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, Pearl Crescent, Black Swallowtail, Spicebush
Swallowtail, Eastern Comma, American Lady, Spring Azure. Dragonflies (1):
Green Darner. Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
----EBNT’s “Walk with Nature” ™ Program Daily Tally with our Fitbits: This
is a stationary watch, but if I stay stationary too long, I might tend to
“bulk up.” Besides, I am ever so fortunate to be walking unaided, at all!
Therefore, I keep moving (if you’ve been here, then you know that I pace
endlessly….) - my Fitbit thanks me and its part of my “Walk with Nature”
program. So, below are MY results at the watch for the day. Your totals
could all be zero, if you choose to sit and relax. You are certainly
welcome to take it easy….I simply choose not to, affording me a panoramic
view of our entire sky and a bit of exercise. So come join our “Walk with
Nature!” ™ Anyway, just for fun, here are my numbers at the site for today
(join me, if you wish): Miles: 7.38; Steps: 17,314; Floors: 12.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 54; this season: 100
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks sunny with only a few clouds and strong NW winds.
There may be a liftoff around 10am of some of the late Broad-winged Hawks
seen yesterday.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm.Rain
or shine.
<earlybirdtours...> questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):