Date: 4/23/19 9:58 am
From: <philliplc...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Coos Migrants 4/22/2019
Also had first of year Evening Grosbeaks yesterdaywith small flocks
headed north over the Lincoln Countycoast range at about 1500 ft. And
this morning for thefirst time a few flocks audible going over the
immediatecoast in Lincoln City. Seems to be at least a minornorthbound
wave moving through right now.
I had that experience with N Pygmy Owl quite a fewtimes this weekend
while trying to do a broad samplingof the lower coast range here. They
seem pretty adaptable,as expected with one on territory somewhere
around mostclear cut edges. But also a few heard in forest
borderinglowland pastures, and they are denser than I would
haveguessed moving up into more enclosed forest higher in the coast
range.
Phil

Was working east of Myrtle Point, Coos in the forested Coast Range on
Monday. I was in a Doug-fir stand about 50 years old adjacent to old
growth. As soon as I got out of my truck I heard a N Pygmy Owl calling
from the older stand, they are pretty easy to hear this time of year.

The stand I was doing plant surveys in was packed with singing
birds- many HERMIT, BLACK-THROATED GRAY and WILSON’S WARBLERS and
lots of PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHERS. Early in the day I could stand at
any one spot and hear two or three of each singing. I had four Pac
Slopes calling/singing close to me at one point- very cool day! Also
heard my first EVENING GROSBEAKS.
Happy birding, Tim R Coos Bay

Join us on Facebook!