Date: 4/23/19 6:18 am
From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage...>
Subject: [obol] Re: upcoming migration forecast
If it happens, a really good spot on the south coast is the China Creek
Bandon State Natural Area parking lot in Bandon.     If it happens, the
birds will move north along the beach and the New River corridor.
Since the mouth of New River is a little less than a mile south of the
parking lot, the birds will end up concentrated near China Creek, and
you can get a good view from the parking lot as the birds move north.

If it happens, it is amazing.  The problem is figuring out if and what
day it will happen.

Cheers
Dave Lauten

On 4/22/2019 8:40 PM, Rebecca Hartman wrote:
> I'm all for occasionally spectacular! This is my first migration when
> I'm near a coast. So , obolers, where would you recommend? I can leave
> Eugene Wednesday at 11 and am free for a week. Where would you go?
>
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2019, 8:08 PM Phil Pickering <philliplc...>
> <mailto:<philliplc...>> wrote:
>
> Thought it was worth mentioning that this is the first
> spring since 2013 that the short window for peak
> shorebird/seabird flights starting in a couple days is
> forecast to coincide with a sustained period of daily
> north winds extending far down into southern Cal.
>
> In the past these conditions have typically compressed
> migrating flocks near shore, as well as (I think)
> north/south causing larger than normal, occasionally
> spectacular aggregations to form. The last few spring
> coastal migrations have been comparatively lackluster,
> so hoping the current long-range forecast holds and
> I didn't just jinx it.
>
> Phil

Join us on Facebook!