Date: 4/23/19 4:17 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (22 Apr 2019) 9 Raptors

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Gerry Teig, Sharon Milner

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (5): Sharon Milner, Gabe Camanelli, Jim Balint, Gerry Teig
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Cloudy (70% Cloud Cover), Ceiling -- 16,500-1,400 ft., Visibility -
10 miles, Temps 55 - 66F, Winds North @ 10 - 15 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Red-shouldered Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, 1-American Kestrel, and numerous Black (16) and Turkey
Vultures (65).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’
<BR><BR>
Sharon and grandson Gabe were out early today. It is so nice to see the
younger people developing an intense interest, as Gabe is doing. It gives
some hope to the future, doesn’t it?
<BR><BR>
No big movement of hawks was noted today, but our summer residents continue
to move in with Chimney Swifts, House Wrens, Common Yellowthroats, Gray
Catbirds, Orchard Orioles, Ovenbirds, Eastern Kingbirds, and many more
species back in appropriate habitat.
<BR><BR>
I’m initiating a new section of the blog for requests and editorial
comment. The first request comes from Mike who requests we cover the
Peregrine and Common Raven spectacle occurring at Cromby Power Plant in
Northern Chester County. More on this, including pictures, will be in the
next large weekly blog coming out on Thursday. Sadly, “the blog” cannot
honor Jim B’s request that I “just shut the Hell up.” [lol] Also, we
can’t honor Scott’s request - whatever it is or is going to be! EVER!!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Common Loon, Great Blue Heron, Belted Kingfisher, Brown Thrasher, Ovenbird,
Eastern Phoebe, and White-crowned Sparrow
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (6): Cabbage White, Eastern Tiger
Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, Pearl Crescent, Spicebush Swallowtail, Spring
Azure. Dragonflies (0): Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
----EBNT’s “Walk with Nature” ™ Program Daily Tally with our Fitbits: This
is a stationary watch, but if I stay stationary too long, I might tend to
“bulk up.” Besides, I am ever so fortunate to be walking unaided, at all!
Therefore, I keep moving (if you’ve been here, then you know that I pace
endlessly….) - my Fitbit thanks me and its part of my “Walk with Nature”
program. So, below are MY results at the watch for the day. Your totals
could all be zero, if you choose to sit and relax. You are certainly
welcome to take it easy….I simply choose not to, affording me a panoramic
view of our entire sky and a bit of exercise. So come join our “Walk with
Nature!” ™ Anyway, just for fun, here are my numbers at the site for today
(join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.27; Steps: 10,021; Floors: 4.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 52; this season: 100
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a good day with a few background clouds,
building during the day and light southwest winds.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm.Rain
or shine.
<earlybirdtours...> questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):