Date: 4/23/19 2:49 am
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] Enjoying Ferruginous Hawks
Jim Leonard et al,

Jim, I'm glad you got to see, photograph, and enjoy the Ferruginous Hawks at
the nest off Hwy 205, north of the Narrows, on your first visit. They are
beautiful birds. It always puts a smile on my face when I see one of them
and realize that it is not just another Red-tail.

I've probably spent a cumulative hour watching that nest, but in multiple
5-minute visits over the last 15 years. I was on one of the tours at the
recent Migratory Bird Festival. We had about 16 people in a van and small
bus. We stopped on the far shoulder of the road for less than 10 minutes
and didn't get out of the vehicles. Those who wanted took photos through
the windows and we moved on.

I also enjoyed 7 Ferruginous Hawks on utility poles along Hwy 20 as I
crossed Deschutes County on my way home April 14. Our group enjoyed seeing
Ferruginous Hawks NE of Enterprise in January. Just west of McMinnville
Carol and I enjoyed seeing a Ferruginous Hawk that spent the winter of
2012-13 at a field on her raptor route. It was fun to see it each month.
My records show that I've seen this species in 3 western and 14 eastern
Oregon counties, so your chances are better on the east side.

I don't have the budget or the equipment or the skill or the patience or the
desire to sit and capture the superlative photographs that you do. We come
to birds with different purposes, but we both enjoy the birds we spend time
watching.

Let me recommend another window to enjoying these beautiful birds. The book
A Hawk in the Sun by Leon Powers (2003) is a popular telling of the Ph.D.
research that Dr. Powers conducted in SE Idaho. He went on to be a
Professor at Northwest Nazarene University in Nampa, ID. It is enjoyable,
well-written, and offers rich insight into the biology of this species.

Enjoy your passion,

Paul Sullivan

McMinnville

Join us on Facebook!