Date: 4/22/19 6:46 pm
From: Julie <jg441157j5x...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Maskunky Marsh birds today (Mahaska County)
On my way to DM this morning I spotted 6 pelicans at the marsh, but as I was headed to a meeting, I did not stop. However, on the way home I did stop, but the pelicans were gone. Following is the list of what was there in the p.m. I have only been home about 40 minutes.
42 Canada Geese
4 Wood Ducks
4 Mallard
8 Red-winged Blackbirds
4 Grackles
8 American Coots
1 Bald Eagle (saw 2, but since they were separated by about 35 minutes, it could have been the same one)
12 shorebirds, I think Greater Yellowlegs, but have to look at photos for sure
5 Gulls, far away, but 2 were smaller and had black on their head, so, tern or gull? Again, I hope the photos are good enough to determine
6 Double-crested Cormorants
25-30 swallows, I think tree swallows, flying over the water
1 European Starling
3 Turkey Vultures
Best of the day…..1 Cattle Egret!
Julie Johnston, Packwood