Date: 4/22/19 5:04 pm
From: wewarb via IA-BIRD <ia-bird...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Our hummingbirds (not a sighting, sort of)
I am always curious about when the first hummingbirdsshow up in Iowa.  Here at our winter homein Colima, Mexico we have some numerous Ruby-throateds and Black-chinneds thatwinter here.  Last year we had both Ruby-throatedmales and females until we departed in early May, which I did not expect.  This year, all of the male hummers have beengone for two weeks with only females here now, which I would expect since malesusually leave first to establish territories.  We probably have ten or twelve “little greenhummingbirds” now which is the best I can do since Ruby-throated andBlack-chinned females are identical despite what some optimistic field guidessay.  If this is like last year, therewill still be some when we leave.  I don’tknow if they will finally migrate or just remain as non-breeders.  We still have our resident hummers – a femalePlain-capped Starthroat, several Cinnamons, and a male Broad-billed.Bob CecilComala, Col, Mexico/West Des Moines, IA