Date: 4/22/19 5:39 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (21 Apr 2019) 17 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 17 382 607

Observation start time: 06:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Daniel Noznisky, Hank Davis, Kathleen Pileggi,
Patrick Millar

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (12): Margretta Brokaw , Tom Brokaw, Patrick Millar, Laureen
Eick-Benson, Lana Glass, Mike Gardner, Jean-Marie Gauthier, Colleen
DelMonte, Hank Davis, Kathleen Pileggi, Dan Noznisky.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly Sunny (50% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 29,800-6,300 ft., Visibility -
10 miles, Temps 50 - 64F, Winds South @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Bald Eagle,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, 2-American Kestrel, and numerous
Black (32) and Turkey Vultures (56).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-4
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’
<BR><BR>
A beautiful sky with portions of white clouds and filled with the chorus of
bird song greeted me at Bucktoe this Easter Sunday morning. The regular
walk was first today with 10 participants [counting Margretta & Tom, who we
met walking their property] enjoying a splendid spring morning [for once].
Highlights on our “warbler walk” included American Kestrel [a pair sitting
astride each other over what will hopefully be their nest box], Common
Loons streaming overhead, Wood Ducks, Chimney Swift, Great Egret, Bald
Eagle, Broad-winged Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, COMMON RAVEN, White-eyed Vireo
[FOY], Warbling Vireo [FOY], Wood Thrush, Gray Catbird, White-crowned
Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow, Ovenbird, Common Yellowthroat, Northern Parula and
Yellow-rumped Warbler. It was a fantastic warbler walk, except for the
lack of warblers! Still, we had 57 species including many new year firsts
for everyone.
<BR><BR>
Kathleen was out enjoying the day at Bucktoe Hawk Watch. While here, an
early Chimney Swift streaked through the sky.
<BR><BR>
“Where is it? I don’t have one yet this year.” Kathleen said, quickly
raising her binoculars in vain. “Darn, I missed it. I don’t see well.” She
lamented.
<BR><BR>
I quickly reassured her, “It was not you, Kathleen. It moved away rather
swiftly.”
<BR><BR>
Sorry, I had to do it. Yep, I had to! Well, the “swift” did move swiftly
– that’s how they got their name!! We chuckled. [Yeah, we chuckle..]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Wood Duck, Chimney Swift, Common Loon, Great Egret, Great Blue Heron,
Belted Kingfisher, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Wood Thrush, Gray Catbird, Brown
Thrasher, Gray Catbird, COMMON RAVEN, Pine Siskin, Orchard Oriole,
Ovenbird, Eastern Phoebe, and White-crowned Sparrow
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (5): Cabbage White, Eastern Tiger
Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, Pearl Crescent, Eastern Comma. Dragonflies
(0): Reptiles & Amphibians (1): American Toad. Mammals (3): Eastern
Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel, White-tailed Deer.
<BR><BR>
----EBNT’s “Walk with Nature” ™ Program Daily Tally with our Fitbits: This
is a stationary watch, but if I stay stationary too long, I might tend to
“bulk up.” Besides, I am ever so fortunate to be walking unaided, at all!
Therefore, I keep moving (if you’ve been here, then you know that I pace
endlessly….) - my Fitbit thanks me and its part of my “Walk with Nature”
program. So, below are MY results at the watch for the day. Your totals
could all be zero, if you choose to sit and relax. You are certainly
welcome to take it easy….I simply choose not to, affording me a panoramic
view of our entire sky and a bit of exercise. So come join our “Walk with
Nature!” ™ Anyway, just for fun, here are my numbers at the site for today
(join me, if you wish): Miles: 9.64; Steps: 22,626; Floors: 18.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 60; this season: 100
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” Gray
Catbird.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks okay with plenty of clouds and a north wind. We
are DUE!!
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm.Rain
or shine.
<earlybirdtours...> questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):