Date: 4/21/19 3:42 pm
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Bird Watchers and Photographer's
Wayne et al.,

OBOL is a large forum with well over 1000 subscribers at this point. Many of us are known, having a left a considerable footprint with our activities and postings. Others are far less known and by and large anonymous. When these folks see posts about experiences being had by those who are more conspicuous and known in this forum they often seek to duplicate our experiences. On many occasions I have posted mini-travelogues of a sort with a roster of locations that I visited, what I found there, and tips for where to look for certain birds, then subsequently had folks from OBOL sending me a note saying they followed my tracks and had a great birding experience. Similarly, I have noticed that folks on the Facebook "Birding Oregon" forum (which Jim also uses) go out to sites where prominent posters like Jim have gone in hopes of getting the same kind of stunning photos that Jim routinely takes.

Herein lies the issue. Jim is an experienced bird photographer who often uses his vehicle as a blind as he sits and patiently waits to get great photos, particularly at Baskett Slough NWR, where he has been a fixture for many years. With practice and patience it's possible to get relatively close to most birds without having much impact on them, but it is a learned skill not an innate one. I trust that Jim is conscientious about disturbing birds and I haven't seen any of his photos that suggest his subjects were overly stressed. In this case he stayed on the road, came prepared with chairs so that he could sit and remain still as he waited for photo opportunities.

But what happens when less experienced birders and bird photographers go out to Malheur in hopes of getting the same sort of close-up photos of the Hwy 205 Ferruginous Hawks. It is unlikely that most will have the sort of camera equipment that Jim uses, or an understanding of the patience and distance that must be maintained to keep the birds relatively calm. In order to get similar results with inferior equipment they are going to have to get much closer to the birds and lacking Jim's experience they may not be as patient about waiting for the birds to be in position for a desired photo. If they see that Jim spent and hour and a half on site they may be inclined do similarly, but perhaps in a much more impactful way. On more than one occasion I've seen birders/bird photographers jump the fence along Hwy 205 and go way out on the flat area north of the Narrows to get close to Burrowing Owl nests. It's not a reach to expect that others might do the same in an effort to get closer and get better photos of the Ferruginous Hawk on and around the nest.

None of us has the ability to control the actions of others and I'm certainly in no position to tell Jim or anyone else how to go about their hobby. What we can do as a community is try to help people new to birding and bird photography understand how their actions may be impacting the birds that they are trying to enjoy. Like Jim, I've stationed myself at water features and shorebird flats and other places where with patience one can get great bird photos with little if any perceptible impact on the birds. When it's just me I can sit still and be quiet for long periods, but when others join me they often struggle to stop fidgeting and moving about in an effort to get a better photo angle. They end up stalking birds instead of waiting for the birds to come to them.

I once sat at the edge of Yaquina Bay for over an hour waiting for the incoming tide to push two juvenile Hudsonian Godwits onto the last piece of exposed mudflat right in front of me. I was like driftwood, not moving and just waiting. In the end the entire mudflat was covered and the two godwits were on a small grassy raised area within 20 feet of me. One of the birds tucked its head under its wing and went to sleep about 12 feet from where I sat. These are magical experiences that I would hope all of us have the opportunity to enjoy, but they rarely happen by accident or without some degree of forethought and planning.

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR