Date: 4/21/19 9:28 am
From: Candace H <candace69001...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Croton Unit- Shimek SF
I birded Croton this a.m. and it was a bit slow, but still is the easiest
place I know to find White-eyed Vireo. Like Chuck Fuller reported earlier,
they are often seen in vegetation bordering the parking area, where I
actually found 2 in one small tree, one vocalizing. Then I saw and heard
another one further back on the trail. Other birds: Parula, Blue-grey
Gnatcatchers, Louisiana Waterthrush, Red-headed Woodpecker, my FOY Common
Yellowthroat (female), singing Ruby-crowned Kinglets. Heard Pileated WP and
Red-shouldered Hawk. It was very muddy, so muck boots were helpful. It
should be in it's prime for IOU. If you've not birded Croton yet, you
should not miss this opportunity.

BTW, I struck out on the Bewick's Wren at the Argyle junkyard.

Candace Havely
Waterloo/Bentonsport
Black Hawk/Van Buren Counties