Date: 4/21/19 6:59 am
From: Jim Moore <epiphenomenon9...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] LA Waterthrush concerns--eBird frequency
Russ,

Below is a link to an eBird frequency graph for Maryland for the last
five years.  (Frequency means the percentage of checklists reporting the
species.)  It does confirm significantly fewer reports to this date than
in past years except for last year.  But note that last year reports
spiked later in the year than in previous years. So waiting a month or
so might give a better picture of what is going on.

https://ebird.org/barchart?r=US-MD&bmo=1&emo=12&byr=2015&eyr=2019&separateYears=true&spp=louwat

But I know that there was much discussion among enthusiasts of butterfly
numbers being down last year because it was so wet.  So this would
support what Andy Wilson has mentioned – fewer insects would suggest
less breeding success.

Jim Moore
Rockville