Date: 4/21/19 6:27 am
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Ferruginous Hawk Nest Malheur -- étiquette around nesting and roosting raptors
Hi -

A few comments:

1. Jim undoubtedly took many more photos than the three he posted, but in my opinion (and I have a lot of experience too) those 3 show behavior that indicates a degree of comfort with Jim's presence.

2.  Raptors make decisions about risk when they establish nests.  If they nest near busy roads we can safely assume that they were aware of traffic when they did so.  If they have continued to use such a nest for multiple years, it is safe to assume that they are not overly bothered by cars stopping on the shoulder, and even by people getting out and pointing glass and metal objects at them.

3.  Between 2011 and 2018  I spent A LOT of time observing and photographing the Peregrine Falcons at Yaquina Head.  The original pair may have delayed nesting for a year before nesting on the quarry wall, right above the busy parking lot. Once they did nest, BLM developed some contingency plans - partial lot closures, closure of the trail to the top of the cliff, etc. but the birds became so comfortable with most peoples' behavior that these rarely had to be used.  There were exceptions- drones have bothered the birds (and the seabirds), and have been banned from the site.  Hang gliders have bothered the Peregrines, and their activity has been restricted, although I believe that is still being contested.  The two circumstances where the Peregrines were visibly bothered by people were during fledging,and if prey was inadvertently dropped into the parking lot.  During fledging BLM staff sometimes closed the trail above, if fledglings lit near it, and sometimes put up signs to keep people further from the base of the cliff.  I was there daily during 2 breeder replacements. In the first, an interloper male apparently killed the original breeding male as the female was beginning incubation, and then paired with her.  He reacted visibly to human activity for about a week, then became about as blase as the original pair.  Replacement of the original female was a slower process with considerable (non-human) disruption of the nesting, but the new female also became very accepting of human presence and activity.

4.  In my lifetime as a birder (and photographer) I have observed a change in diurnal raptors' reactions to people.  In general they are much more tolerant of approach by people.  I attribute this to the general decrease in peoples' propensity to shoot at them. Two exceptions:  For reasons I do not understand American Kestrels are considerably less approachable than other small raptors.  And, although I do not have personal experience, I doubt that Goshawks are any more tolerant of approach to their nests than they ever were.

In Summary, I doubt that Jim caused the Ferruginous Hawks much anxiety, and I think we (particularly the older of us) need to re-calibrate our assumptions about how much or how little our presence disturbs these birds in an environment they are sharing with more and more of us, but hopefully with less reason to fear us.

Wayne
On 4/21/2019 4:34:54 AM, David Irons <llsdirons...> wrote:
Jim,

Suggesting that I made a judgment in this instance "without knowing the situation" is not accurate. I am quite familiar with the situation at the Ferruginous Hawk nest where you took your photos. I have stopped to look at the nest on a few occasions and driven by it on many dozen more. You said yourself that this was your first visit and that you spent an hour and a half at the nest site. Did I somehow misrepresent either of these facts? There may be some OBOL subscribers, perhaps many, who think that it's okay to spend that amount of time roughly 200 yards from an active hawk nest in the only tree around. Some may believe that it has no impact whatsoever on the birds, but I beg to differ. I would hope that we can engage in a civil conversation about issues like this. You didn't need to tell this very public forum that you spent as long as you did at the site of this nest, but you did. Apparently you didn't consider that this might invite questions about whether such a lengthy visit was prudent. I am certainly not the only one in this forum who knows about this well-known nest site, or the only person on OBOL who appreciates that Ferruginous Hawks are a "species of concern" as it relates to their breeding status in Oregon.  http://oregonconservationstrategy.com/strategy-species/ferruginous-hawk/ [http://oregonconservationstrategy.com/strategy-species/ferruginous-hawk/]
[http://oregonconservationstrategy.com/strategy-species/ferruginous-hawk/]
Ferruginous Hawk - Oregon Conservation Strategy [http://oregonconservationstrategy.com/strategy-species/ferruginous-hawk/]
Blue Mountains. Located in NE Oregon, the Blue Mountains ecoregion is the largest ecoregion in the state. It provides a diverse complex of mountain ranges, valleys, and plateaus that extend beyond Oregon into the states of Idaho and Washington.
oregonconservationstrategy.com
The report at the link above clearly states that Ferruginous Hawks are susceptible to human disturbances during the nesting season. If, as you say, the recent bird festival in Burns had "carloads of people unloading to observe this nest" that would seem to be problematic as well to my way of thinking. If that makes me a jerk, or the "bird police" I'm okay with that. We all enjoy seeing birds up close and personal, and many of us enjoy taking and seeing great photos of birds. Is it really so unreasonable to ponder how our behaviors and activities may be impacting the birds we profess to care about? It's a delicate balance with no simple answers. Have I strayed to close to a nest or lingered too long when a bird may have been agitated? Of course I have. Hopefully, I and others can learn from those missteps.

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR