Date: 4/20/19 3:40 pm
From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
Subject: [obol] Increased shorebird movement at Depoe Bay
I did a sea watch today from about 7:30 AM to about 10:45 AM.

I saw 16 flocks of small shorebirds go by, fighting the blustery weather. At least two of the flocks were Least Sandpipers, that clung to very near shore. The others may have all been Westerns. The largest flock had about 300 birds, and the smallest about 20.

As expected, there California Gulls were also migrating by, but no Caspian Terns or Herring Gulls today. That may be because the of the generally northerly wind.

A flock of Black Turnstones on the rocks had a Surfbird with them.

Two flocks of Greater White-fronted Geese also flew by.

Jeff Gilligan (from Portland currently)

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!