Date: 4/20/19 5:39 am
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Prineville Bean-Goose
Hi -

I agree that this is a different bird, not that I expected otherwise.  I also lean toward Tundra, but to me, the photos I have seen so far do not clinch it.  I would expect a Taiga (at least ssp middendorffi) to have  longer neck.  This and related body proportions are the features that eventually convinced the California Records Committee that the goose at Salton Sea some years ago was Tundra rather than Taiga, despite a bill that looked pretty good for Taiga.  The details of the gape are also important, and I have not been able to discern them to my satisfaction in the photos I have seen so far.

Wayne

On 4/20/2019 7:19:20 AM, Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...> wrote:
Never make an ID on one photo. That lesson has come up regularly on this list. With that disclaimer, l'm going to suggest the Finley bird has a smaller beak. The culmen appears to join the feathered brow well below the eye level, while the Crook bird has a culmen beginning on the same plane as the eye. But the Crook bird photo also seems to be a pure profile of the head(90 degrees to camera lens) while the Benton bird may be a little oblique.
       What's really cool about the Benton photo is the context. All the other geese are Duskies. Note the red plastic neck collar on one of them. For all of you insecure about IDing Canada Geese to subspecies, the red collar clinches "Dusky". One of them has a natural, white collar made of feathers.
 This is not an Aleutian Cackler. The white neck ring is an ancestral trait that is very common in true Cacklers (minima) and l have seen it on taverni in the hand, faintly on other Duskies. This example is the most pronounced case l've noticed on a Dusky. There are also lots of big anthills in the picture, an indicator of decades without ploughing . Prairie Research Natural Area is right across the street. The geese' dining and relaxing has been enhanced by anthropogenic fire.lpn

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019, 9:19 PM Charles Gates <cgates326...> [mailto:<cgates326...>]> wrote:

Thanks to Aaron Beerman and a good bit of luck, I got to spend about an hour with the Tundra Bean-Goose near the Crooked River Wetlands Complex in Prineville.  I got a couple of photos even though the light was fading and the sky was threatening.  I feel very lucky.  I was supposed to be in Burns with a small group but they cancelled so I was lucky to be home.  I checked my email just before Aaron posted so I would likely have missed the post if Tom Crabtree had not called.  Finally, radar showed some severe thunder storms heading right for that bird but the skies parted and we remained dry and unelectricuted.  Thanks goes out to Aaron for reporting this guy.  Obviously, this is the first time seen in the county and, I believe, the first time seen on this side of the mountains in Oregon.

I was joined by Crabtree, Scott Staats and June McAtee.  I didn't call Bend people because I didn't think they could get over before dark.

The bird was with several pairs of Canada Geese right where Aaron described it would be.  There was some talk about comparing it to the Finley bird so I will include pics of both.  The first pic is the Prineville bird and the second is the Finley bird.

[sdfdss]  [gdd]

-- It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. Mark Twain Chuck Gates Prineville Bird Club 541-280-4957 Powell Butte, Central Oregon Oregon Birding Site Guide http://www.ecaudubon.org/birding-locations [http://www.ecaudubon.org/birding-locations] Oregon County Checklists http://www.ecaudubon.org/county-checklists [http://www.ecaudubon.org/county-checklists]

[#m_3107359038799871931_m_-6528148365586754815_m_494923971127099299_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2]

Join us on Facebook!