Date: 4/19/19 11:23 pm
From: Range Bayer <range.bayer...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: Re: Red-shouldered Hawk [Previous Confirmed Nesting in 2018 near Toledo]
Hi Phil & others,

There is at least one confirmed record of Red-shouldered Hawk nesting in
Lincoln County before Phil Pickering's email below and his eBird record for
4/18/19 confirming nesting (https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55097475).

In eBird, I found that Dawn Harris reported 3 Red-shouldered Hawks on
6/29/2018 near Toledo, and she commented "Breeding pair with one fledgling"
(https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46880947). Dawn doesn't have her record
listed with a breeding code like Phil does in his eBird checklist.

I was not aware of any confirmed Red-shouldered Hawk nesting records before
Phil's email until this evening, when I explored April-July eBird records
on a map that can be moved for other areas in Oregon during April-July at
https://tinyurl.com/y6fqhbrb Note that when I first searched eBird
Barchart for records, the map was at a large scale. It is important to
zoom in because sometimes a "balloon" for a site may cover another one, so
a record can be missed. That is the case for Dawn Harris's confirmed
record --without zooming in to each balloon in Lincoln County during
April-July I would have missed it, and I zoomed in and am giving
the tinyurl that just barely shows the balloon indicating the location of
her record. To see records for more of Oregon for April-July zoom out.
The months can be changed at the top of the map.

I went through each of the April-July records to read comments and no one
else besides Phil and Dawn gave any indication of nesting.

There were no other June records for Lincoln County.

eBird is a wonderful!

Range Bayer, Newport, Oregon.