Date: 4/19/19 10:16 am
From: Amy Henrici <henriciac...>
Subject: Eastern Whip-poor-will; Allegheny County
Yesterday evening I was outside at dusk watching the moon rise, trying to
count bats flying around the yard (3-4), listening to the toads and tree
frogs, and doing some odds and ends, when I noticed that something else was
calling. The traffic noise and amphibian calls died down briefly, and I
realized that a whip-poor-will was calling from the scrubby woods between
our house and our neighbors house, which is about a 1/4 mile away. I yelled
for Pat, but by the time he came out, the bird had stopped calling.We think
that it was a migrant that called a bit before heading out. The only other
time we heard one from the yard was back in the early 1990s.

Amy Henrici
Pat McShea

Join us on Facebook!