Date: 4/15/19 5:50 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (14 Apr 2019) 9 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 9 236 461

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 10 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Don Manuel, Gerry Teig, Kathleen Pileggi, Sue Manuel

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (15): Kathleen Pileggi, Mike Gardner, Hank Davis, Jean-Marie
Gauthier, Scott Northey, Lana Glass, Colleen Del Monte, Laureen
Rick-Benson, Dennis Davis, Kris Benarcik, Don Manuel, Sue Manuel, Gerry
Teig, Charles Shattuck
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Overcast w/showers (100% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 700-2,400 ft., Visibility
- 4 miles, Temps 60 - 71F, Winds SSE @ 5 - 15 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Red-shouldered Hawk,
2-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (17) and Turkey Vultures (42).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’
<BR><BR>
Our regular Sunday Bird walk was first at Bucktoe this gloomy day. We had
11 people on our walk, where we found little going on until we came across
two very active Sycamore trees along the Red Clay Creek, where we found
Northern Parula [FOY], Pine Warblers [my FOY], Yellow-rumped Warblers, Palm
Warblers, and Common Yellowthroat. Also found along the way were Osprey,
Wood Duck, Great Blue Heron, House Wren [FOY], Blue-gray Gnatcatcher,
Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Brown Thrasher, White-crowned
Sparrow, and Swamp Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
Conditions were not good for hawk watching, with clouds, drizzle and fog.
OBSERVERS, Don & Sue were out “observing” not much, as this weather was
particularly not conducive for hawk migration. [Don & Sue love being
called…no, they insist upon being called observers – gotcha!]
<BR><BR>
The lousy weather worsened, but the day “brightened” when Charles from the
wonderful folks at Wild Birds Unlimited in nearby Hockessin, arrived with a
new raccoon-proof feeder setup for our site! The birds and I thank you,
Charles! I stayed late, playing with those…
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Palm Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, Wood Duck, Great Blue Heron, House Wren,
Brown Thrasher, Belted Kingfisher, Rough-winged Swallow, Ruby-crowned
Kinglet, Eastern Phoebe, and White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0): Dragonflies (0): Reptiles &
Amphibians (0): Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
----EBNT’s “Walk with Nature” ™ Program Daily Tally with our Fitbits: This
is a stationary watch, but if I stay stationary too long, I might tend to
“bulk up.” Besides, I am ever so fortunate to be walking unaided, at all!
Therefore, I keep moving (if you’ve been here, then you know that I pace
endlessly….) - my Fitbit thanks me and its part of my “Walk with Nature”
program. So, below are MY results at the watch for the day. Your totals
could all be zero, if you choose to sit and relax. You are certainly
welcome to take it easy….I simply choose not to, affording me a panoramic
view of our entire sky and a bit of exercise. So come join our “Walk with
Nature!” ™ Anyway, just for fun, here are my numbers at the site for today
(join me, if you wish): Miles: 8.29; Steps: 18,455; Floors: 29.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 49; this season: 92
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):” House Wren
and Common Yellowthroat.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like it starts cloudy and rainy and ends mostly
cloudy and VERY WINDY - not favorable, eiher
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm.Rain
or shine.
<earlybirdtours...> questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):