Date: 4/12/19 1:54 pm
From: James Purcell via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] LBBGs more info and RFI
The Lesser Black-backed Gulls at Southport Beach stuck around for half an
hour or so, although they continued to fly off in small groups, so that
there were only 5 remaining by the time I left.

It was really quite a treat to see 13 of these gorgeous adults in full
alternate plumage with pure white heads and bright yellow legs.

I've done some digging around on eBird, and it appears that this may be a
high count record for CT, far and above previous high counts of 4 (at
Hammonasset and Windsor Landfill). Obviously eBird is not the end-all,
particularly for older or historic records, so I'm curious if anybody has
any records of many (e.g. more than 5) LBBG at a single location before
like this, to establish if this was an unusual one-off phenomenon (perhaps
a migrating flock?) or something more regular.

Thanks!

James Purcell
Fairfield