Date: 4/12/19 1:48 pm
From: Thomas Robben via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Citizen Science Day is April 13th
Dear Birders:

Tomorrow April 13th is Citizen Science Day 2019:

https://www.scistarter.org/citizen-science-day

During recent years when Science itself is taking a lot of flak, I think it
is important that we Birders give ourselves a pat on the back, as some of
the earliest de facto “Citizen Scientists” (even before somebody invented
this name), starting with the “Bird Phenology Program” in 1881, then the
Christmas Bird Counts which started in 1900, up through the current CT Bird
Atlas, and every eBird report you submit through your computer or smart
phone. Our many decades of bird observations and reports have had many
good results, including reducing the unlimited killing of birds for their
feathers, and enabling Rachel Carson and Joe Hickey to identify DDT as
causing environmental damages.

So tomorrow, when somebody asks what Citizen Science is all about, tell
them that you are a de facto Citizen Scientist, and have been one since you
started birding!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_science

Tom Robben
Glastonbury CT