Date: 4/3/19 1:20 pm
From: Brian Fitch <fogeggs...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Sabines
I did a sea watch at the Sutro Baths this morning between 8 and 10:30. I
put in extra time because the atmospheric clarity was outstanding, and I
really expected some notable migrants to fly by. I also checked the bath
pool several times over the first hour, with nothing unusual.

Jim Carmack showed up, and while we talked, Paul Linnemeyer arrived and
surprised us with the news that the Sabine's Gull had returned. We all ran
over to the south wall and watched the bird for 40 minutes or so, as it
mostly stood on the seawall near other gulls, looking unwell, but also
preening at times, and flying briefly to avoid aggressive larger gulls. At
one point, it upchucked a small brownish pellet, a behavior that may have
reflected it's ill health, or perhaps something pelagic gulls do at times?
Around 9:40, a fisherman and then some tourists scared the bird off around
the Cliff House and out of sight. Jim obtained some nice shots of the gull
standing, stretching, and flying off.

The only definite migrants here were singletons of Osprey, Whimbrel, and
Barn Swallow, all heading north over the sea.

I then checked western GG Park, and at Middle Lake found Bob Gunderson for
the second time of the morning, and he was tracking what turned out to be a
Nashville Warbler, possible the previously reported individual, or a new
arrival. Good teamwork today!

Brian Fitch

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 9:01 AM Brian Fitch via Groups.Io <fogeggs=
<gmail.com...> wrote:

> On the wall at sutro. 9 am
> Brian fitch

-=-=-